Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Plan

The Eating
I decided to do weightwatchers because it has worked for me in the past.  The new PointsPlus program is pretty close to the program they had when I lost 40 pounds a few years back, with some modifications.  In the past, each food item was given a number of points based on the fat, fiber and calories.  Now, calories are not a factor, but there is some formula based on fat, fiber, carbs and protein.  Also, fruits are "free".  This really seems to steer me towards healthier choices.  No longer can I down a 100-calorie pack for 2 points (I think they are 4 now due to the carbs).  No longer am I hesitant to eat an apple because of the 1 or 2 points it adds to my total.

Because of my weight, I get 34 pointsplus a day.  If I stay within the realm of healthy food, this gives me a LOT of food to eat.  During the week, I have been eating a pretty substantial breakfast of, for example, an egg (2 pp), a low carb tortilla (1 pp) and some greek yogurt (2pp, total of 5 pp for breakfast).  For lunch I have an apple (0 pp), a ww pita (3 pp), some hummus (3-4 pp) and some chicken breast (2 pp) with some veggies (0 pp).   After an afternoon snack, I still usually am left with 15-20 pp for dinner.  Although I cannot go out and eat half a pizza or a large chow mein, I am not feeling totally deprived.  


The Exercise
I recently joined a gym right by my work to eliminate the excuses.  I bought a book that I am really enjoying called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".  It has a very solid plan and so for (week 1) I am really liking it.  I am also doing the Couch to 5 K program.  I have never been a runner and really need to get to the point of being able to run more than 1 minute without getting out of breath.  I am planning on alternating the walk/run (3 days a week) with the lifting (3 days a week) and trying to get in as much other exercise as I can.   So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment